Wednesday, August 16, 2017

String Concatenation Operators

I will start this blog by narrating what happens with me usually during development

On a busy day, I found a bug and started debugging it and found the issue is not occuring commonly with people. so started googling and traversing google search results for 4 or 5 pages :D Thinking this as a custom big issue I google it with pride and atlast debug it to find it as a typo in code.

When you switch between multiple languages there exists a difference in syntax :( Phew! Suddenly I use a string concatenation operator of javascript (+) in PERL and find the code is throwing a Out of the World error. )

Okay let me summarize how the string concatenation operator differs in some of the languages

Oracle SQL = || (doube pipe)

SQL Server = + (plus)

Javascript, Java, C# = + (plus)

PERL  = . (dot -  mind it)

Peoplecode = | (single pipe)

bash = $a$b (no operator just write variable names continuously - thats it - OMG!)

xml = concat(v,v1,...)

So I have come up with list of commonly different syntax variations which I use frequently and keep it as my reference.. This way I avoid these silly mistakes...

You can post the similar differences in comments section :)

No comments: